TEACHERS from various parts of the country and representing different unions have threatened to storm President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s offices today demanding urgent address on their work-related grievances, among them a 100% salary hike.
According to a letter addressed to the police in Harare, signed by six union leaders, the teachers said they would march from Zimta House to Mnangagwa’s Mumhumutapa offices, where they plan to hand over a petition containing their grievances.
The Federation of Zimbabwe Educators’ Unions is made up of Amalgamated Rural Teachers’ Union of Zimbabwe (ARTUZ), Progressive Teachers Union of Zimbabwe (PTUZ), Professional Educators’ Union of Zimbabwe (PEUZ), Zimbabwe Democratic Teachers’ Union (ZDTU), Zimbabwe Teachers’ Association (Zimta) and Zimbabwe National Teachers Union (ZNTU).
Besides the salary hike, teachers are also demanding restoration of vacation leave, a compensatory rural allowance and security guarantees against harassment by politicians.
The police force has responded giving a go-ahead for the march giving the route that teachers should follow.
Below is the letter from the police:
Attention• M. Nyowo
RE: NOTICE TO MARCH FROM ZIMTA HOUSE TO CAUSEWAY BUILDING
1. The above subject matter is pertinent.
2. Your notification letter to hold a peaceful march on the 2, of Morch 2018 from 1300 hours to 1400 hours hos been noted.
3. You shall start your march at ZIMTA Offices corner Hebert Chitepo and Mazowe Street, march along Hebert Chitepo, turn right into 3rd Street to Causeway Building. Two representatives to deliver a letter of demand to Minister of State for Presidential Affairs ond Monitoring Implementation of Government Programme at Munhumulopo building.
4. Please confine your march to the above stated route and time outlined. Police will monitor. For escort management please liaise with Officer Commanding Harare Traffic who is contactable on direct line 777644 or general line 777777 extension 1053.
5. Your co-operation with the Police and sties government agents will be Wean), appreciated.
6. The provisions of Section 29 of the Public Order and Security Act Chapter 11:17 will be invoked if any of the condition stated above is violated.
7. Thank you for your co-operation.
Officer Commanding Police
HARARE CENTRAL DISTRICT